Saturday, December 3, 2011

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Release Date: November 15, 2011
Publisher: Harper/HarperCollins
Author Information: Website / Blog / Twitter / Tumblr
Genre: Dystopian, Romance, Paranormal
Available Formats: Hardcover, eBook
My Shelf : Own
Buy the BookAmazon
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.
Review:

OK, I am sorry, but I need to just say that Adam is…… WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW.


I am going to warn you now, this review could just end up being a total ode to Adam and full of a fangirl’s ranting. (OHMYGODHEISSODEADSEXYIDONOTKNOWWHATTODOWITHMYSELF.) Alright, I got some of it out. I am going to try and stop there. Try being the key word.

I really liked Juliette. I think what I liked most about her was how mentally strong she was. If I had been stuck in a small cell for over 264 days, I think I would be doing a little more than counting the cracks in the ceiling and walls. I would probably be slamming my head into the walls to make some more cracks (and then be able to count some more!). Seriously, with everything she has been through and all the tough times she faced, I am surprised she has not gone insane. I really liked her for that. One of the other characters I feel in love with was Kenji. HE IS SO FUNNY! I cannot wait to see more of him in the second book. In the span of a few pages, I almost instantly fell in love with him (but I had already given my heart to Adam). And then there was little James. I would love to make him my teddy bear. He is soooo adorable.

I really liked all the characters (save Warner and his confusing obsession with Juliette- why IS he so obsessed?)! Especially Adam. Ahhhh….. Adam. There is something about a hardcore soldier who can be a softie at times (especially with his little brother) that is just so…..hot. I loved how he would get emotional with Juliette and then turn into a super soldier around Kenji, where every other word out of his mouth was a curse word and he would die to protect those he loves. It’s pretty sexy. ><

Mafi’s writing style is very unique. She is very descriptive and constantly uses metaphors, which some people really did not like. I did not mind it that much. In fact, I really liked it! It was very new and refreshing and sometimes the details and descriptions she gave were gorgeous. Granted, there were a few times where I had to pause and be like, wait, what....? Sometimes her writing was TOO GOOD and TOO BEAUTIFUL and I lost a bit of the story and focused more on her prose. But honestly, I would rather be distracted from a story due to good writing and delving into the meaning of it all instead of being totally uninterested in it. Who wouldn’t? And trust me, I got plenty distracted enough by daydreaming of Adam. So, needless to say, I did not mind her writing style at all!

Some people also did not care for the ending. I did not mind it, and I am excited to see where it all leads! I would have liked to have a little more information about the politics and social structure of the world. It was laid out briefly, but I would like to know a little more, especially how The Reestablishment came to power. But that could all be explained in the next book!

As a brief side note, I have to say that 2011 has made me a fan of dystopian literature. Between DivergentShatter Me, and Delirium, it is almost impossible NOT to be a fan.

The second novel, Unravel Me, is due out in 2012. More Adam? I am so there.
A Great Escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...